Art Reading Response
July 21st, 2021
- How do the authors distinguish between “seeing” and “looking”?
- Define representation. Can representation be defied or subverted?
- What is the “myth of photographic truth”? Define subjective choice and how it connects with the photograph as “evidence”? How has technology impacted the “truth-value” of the photograph?
- Discuss Roland Barthes’ two levels of meaning for an image. How does Barthes use and connect the term “myth” to the image?
- Describe ideology and its connections to the image. Define propaganda. How does propaganda connect to ideology?
- How does the portrait image of O.J. Simpson figure into the discussion of Ideology and cultural power?
- What does Saussure argue in his theory of Semiotics? How has his theories been used in visual theory and analysis?
- How is value conceived of and applied to art/visual imagery? What other kinds of values adhere to images in our culture? What is meant by icons? How does this connect to value? Can icons be subverted?