Beyond Visual Line of Sight Operations (BVLOS)
Beyond Visual Line of Sight Operations (BVLOS) operations have been identified by the FAA as inherently more risky than Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) operations. For sUAS, a waiver is required to operate BVLOS under 14 CFR Part 107 rules.
Select a UAS that is able to operate BVLOS and describe in detail how this is accomplished. Describe the risk assessment process you would undertake in order to request a waiver from the FAA in order to operate your sUAS in a commercial operation. Be sure to include:
· The infrastructure needed to support the operations.
· The additional personnel that are required to operate the necessary equipment.
· The procedures operators must use to safely execute this mission.
Covers the following items in your paper:
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this method of operation as opposed to VLOS?
2. What unique human factors issues arise when UAS operators are required to switch from VLOS to BVLOS and conduct operations? Why is there a higher level of risk?
3. What happens if the command and control link between the GCS and aircraft are lost?
· Is the UAS equipped with default logic that performs certain actions?
· How involved is the pilot in a “Lost Link” Scenario?
4. Are there any commercial applications for BVLOS operations that would encourage the private sector to pursue UAS with this capability?
· If so, what are they?
Save your assignment using a naming convention that includes your first and last name and the activity number (or description). Do not add punctuation or special characters.
Your paper will automatically be evaluated through Turnitin when you submit your assignment in this activity. Turnitin is a service that checks your work for improper citation or potential plagiarism by comparing it against a database of web pages, student papers, and articles from academic books and publications. Ensure that your work is entirely your own and that you have not plagiarized any material!
Paper Criteria (in addition to rubric)
· Provide a paper of at least 2 pages double spaced.
· APA formatted introduction and reference page.
· Use appropriate reference citations (e.g., scholarly, peer-reviewed, from reputable sources)