CFI & DSM5 Essay
· Review the CFI questions and readings in the DSM-5 on cultural variations, syndromes, and idioms.
Social workers need to be able to identify cultural conceptions of illness and mental illness. Because studies show that anxiety and depression differ from culture to culture and within cultures, it is important to build skill using the Cultural Formulation Interview (CFI) to elicit how an individual has actually incorporated their cultural beliefs. While the core interview is a set of 16 questions, more detailed versions expand on each area. In this Assignment, you sensitively apply the CFI to your case collaboration partner as well as research how to address and individualize anxiety resources for your partner’s culture and needs.
Compose a 4-page essay free of plagiarism with scholarly in-text references.
-KEEP QUESTION HEADERS-
Primary characteristics of “partner” – African American, single, female, 50 years old, Christian, in school for Master of Social Work degree, $60k income, resides in Atlanta, GA. Use imagination if more details are needed for “partner”
· Describe the skills or techniques you used to engage your partner during the CFI.
· Explain which aspects of the CFI were the most helpful in learning about your partner’s personal view of the problem and situation from a cultural perspective.
· Describe the cultural components (e.g., race/ethnicity, religion, geographic region, socio-economic status, etc.) that may influence your partner, and analyze how those cultural components influence their mental health experience.
· Identify which relevant subsections of the CFI you used. Explain why you did (or did not) use a subsection as part of your assessment.
· Analyze how you, as a social work treatment provider, might adjust interventions for the client (your partner), their individualized circumstances, and culture of origin. Be specific and demonstrate critical thought through the application of concepts in resources.
· Recommend a specific evidence-based measurement instrument to validate the diagnosis and assess outcomes of treatment. Explain any cultural considerations you made when determining an appropriate instrument, including whether or not the instrument was validated with diverse populations.
Using the Cultural Formulation Interview to Build Culturally Sensitive Services
Esperanza Díaz, Luis M. Añez, Michelle Silva, Manuel Paris, and Larry Davidson
Psychiatric Services 2017 68:2, 112-114