CHEM 110 Morgan State University Empirical Formulas Lab Report
Ihave done half of the report and I need help in the small part left which is, Result, discussion and conclusion.
I post my report , also I posted a photo of measurement and data with calculation that already answered.
this is the format of the ;ab report i need
- Abstract: This is a brief summary (200 words or less) of your experiment. Remember this should be written AFTER you complete the other parts. : What is the scope of the work? (Hints: What did you do? What techniques did you use? What are the outcomes? What comparisons did you make?)
- Introduction The purpose of the introduction is to give background information for a general audience so that they understand the experimental work that will be described. You can use your Pre-lab, TopHat, textbook, lecture notes or any other source. Please cite all references accordingly (EXPERIMENT SPECIFIC)
What is the objective of the experiment and why is the experiment important?
Define the key question you are trying to answer?
Describe the key concepts that need to be understood in order to answer the key question.
- Instrumentation: List materials and instrumentation used. Remember to use ChemSketch. Copy your ChemSketch figures here.
- Experimental: For this section make sure that all experimental details are described. Include all procedures performed in the experiment and techniques used. Make sure that it is written in paragraph form, in the third person and in past tense. (Example: The beaker was weighed using a balance.) Use enough detail so that the procedure can be replicated.
Data Include all graphs, tables and all sample calculations. (Experiment Specific)
Table 1:__________________________________________ (Insert title)
Answer the following in paragraph form:
How does your data relate to answering the key question? What do the results mean? How do they relate to the objectives of the project? To what extent have they resolved the problem?
- Review data/results
- Compare with literature value, if applicable (are they similar or very different) – Compare results with different trials, if applicable (are they similar or very different) -Compare your results with other group results, if applicable (are they similar or very different) -Look for oddities like violations of conservation of mass (over or under 100% recovery) -Go back to detailed experimental and look for places where error could have occurred.
- Refer to questions asked in the project. Specifically:
Enter one paragraph with 5-6 sentences.
Did I answer the key question? If yes, what did I conclude?If no, what did I conclude? And what other approach/study/experiment should I try?
Morgan State University
Dr. Jiangnan Peng
Lab Report EX:3
The quantitative stoichiometric relationships governing mass and amount will be studied using
the combustion reaction of magnesium metal. Magnesium is reacted with oxygen from the air in
a crucible, and the masses before and after the oxidation are measured. The resulting masses are
used to calculate the experimental empirical formula of magnesium oxide, which is then
compared to the theoretical empirical formula. A crucible and Bunsen burner will be used to heat
magnesium metal to burning
Experimental Details or Theoretical Analysis:
Based on the mass of magnesium measured and the mass of oxygen determined experimentally,
calculate the empirical formula for the new magnesium-oxygen compound formed for each trial.
You may need to refer to your textbook and lecture notes for assistance.
Clean a crucible and lid, dry the crucible and lid over a Bunsen burner with a cool flame for a
few minutes. Let the crucible and lid cool to room temperature and then weigh the crucible and
the lid together to the full limit of precision of your balance. CAUTION: Never weigh hot, wet
objects on the balance. Add approximately 0.3 grams of magnesium metal to the crucible, and
weigh the crucible, lid and magnesium together to get the exact mass of the magnesium added.
Heat the magnesium in the crucible over a Bunsen burner to convert magnesium to magnesium
After the reaction is complete (a gray-white powder will form), remove the flame and let the
crucible cool slightly. Carefully add a few drops of distilled water (Why? What do you
observe?), and heat the crucible over a low flame for a few minutes, then adjust the flame and
heat the crucible with the bottom glowing red hot for 10 more minutes. (Why?) Shut off the
burner, let the crucible cool to room temperature, and weigh the crucible, the lid, and the final
product to a constant weight.
crucible : 11.02g
after heat 22.089
mass of o-
22.089. – Video
0.489 53 My o
10. 2319 00123 mol
or as I