Using the available organic roadmaps (or other organic chemistry resources),
create 3 separate multistep reactions.
1. Develop a 3-step reaction A → B → C → D
2. Develop a 4-step reaction G → H → I → J → K
3. Develop a 5-step reaction M → N → O → P → Q → R
4. You must provide all proper reagents along the route and create
each new compound with the functional transformation at each
5. The starting compounds (A, G, M) must contain least 5 carbons
(unless it is an aromatic compound where you must start with at
least 6 carbons).
6. The starting compound functional group (A, G, M) has been
provided for you in the “Starting Functional Groups” document
above. You can not use the same starting compound for A, G, and
7. No R, R’, R” (etc..) is allowed. You must show the entire molecule in
each step after each reaction.
8. There are 16 functional groups to work with. You should not repeat
any transformations. Each reaction/step must be new/unique (as
best you can).
9. Submit the final reactions on a handwritten (1) single page. All
reactions, reagents and arrows must be handwritten to show
10. Print your name and write your signature on the work.
Organic Reaction Map
Aromatic Reaction Map
For this assignment, you will be tasked with determining
the important physical and chemical properties related to
the chemicals used in your scale up reaction (chemicals M
to N in your previous assignment).
You must have the following sections filled in and uploaded.
1. Drawing of your chemical reaction M to N
2. List of all chemicals in the reaction and their physical and chemical
3. Hazards identification (part 1) – Classification of the substances (found in
Section 2.1 of the SDS sheet)
4. Hazards identification (part 2) – Handling and Storage (section 7.1, 7.2, and
7.3 of the SDS sheet)
5. Quality Control – identify quality control measures (instrumentation,
chemicals tests, or sensors to monitor quality of raw materials and products)
Resources for finding information
1. Wikipedia – can be a good resource for physical properties
2. https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/CA/en – good for physical properties and
3. https://chemicalsafety.com/sds-search/ – site for SDS sheets. use chemical
name or CAS# for information