CMM31 Media Audiences Assessment 1
CMM31 Media Audiences
Assessment item 1
Item 1: Short Answer Responses
Length: 1500 words
This assessment item assesses your understanding of the material covered in the first six weeks of the unit. Please answer TWO of the following questions with each answer approximately 750 words in length.
1. Ross and Nightingale argue ‘audience research is a vehicle for monitoring the impact of both the mediatisation of human senses and the industrialisation of the productive capacity of the media’ (2003:13). Using examples, briefly discuss the term mediatisation.
2. Briefly define and compare the ‘magic bullet’ or ‘hypodermic’ model of media research with the ‘encoding – decoding’ model of media research. Please use examples in your answer.
3. What does an ethnographic approach to audience research involve? Briefly discuss how this approach compares with other approaches to audience study and briefly outline the strengths and weaknesses of this approach in audience research.
4. Briefly discuss arguments for and against using television ratings to measure television audiences. Use examples to substantiate your argument.
5. Marxist media theorists discuss the media in terms of their role as ‘ideological apparatuses’. Explain the key notions behind this research, paying particular attention to the concept of hegemony and the media’s role within it. What is ‘hegemony’, and why is it important to media audience studies?
6. To what extent are our ideas about the audience dependent on technology, and how are new technologies challenging traditional models of audience research? Use examples to substantiate your argument.
Remember to cite all sources, to reference your work and to place one list of all references used at the end of your paper. Please access the Griffith University ‘Referencing Tool’ via the Griffith University library and follow the AGPS Harvard style.
At this level of study we expect students to include a range of scholarly sources including peer-reviewed journal articles, text-books and reputable websites.
File type and Format:
Please use Microsoft word document: doc or docx
Use 12pt font or above (Arial or Times New Roman)
Double line spacing
Include page numbers
Include header or footer on each page with your name, course code and date.
Use italics for titles and bold for headings.
Use the AGPS Harvard referencing style (refer to the Griffith University library referencing tool)
Short Answer Responses Assessment includes the following criteria:
The Student has:
· demonstrated a clear understanding of key terms, concepts, theories and methodologies and has applied them appropriately with relevant examples;
· acknowledged the word limit of 750 words per question;
· answered articulately and clearly expressed their ideas;
· used correct grammar and spelling; used complete sentences (no sentence fragments);
· underlined or italicised book, film, TV, and Internet titles;
· enclosed article titles within inverted commas;
· clearly identified new paragraphs by spacing;
· referenced direct quotations and paraphrased material;
· listed references cited.
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations, you can always request a refund and get your money back.
We don’t share your private information with anyone. What happens on our website stays on our website.
Our service is legit
We provide you with a sample paper on the topic you need, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper with our plagiarism-detection software, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 8 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.