PHIL110 Critical Thinking – SPS CUNY
Unit 2 Discussion Assignment Argument Reconstruction and a GIFT
Step 1. Read the dialogue (below) and the additional linked resources. How would you continue
this dialogue? What would you say? Give your response on the value of a college education and
the outlook of future job prospects.
Then reconstruct one (or more) simple arguments from this dialogue (could be Hiro’s, Angie’s or
your own) using standard form (P1, P2, Pn …/C). Identify (or add) appropriate premise
indicators and conclusion indicators in your reconstructed argument format.
Then write a paragraph in which do the following:
• Explain why this is an argument What’s the rhetorical purpose?
• Tell us what type of connections do you see (if any) between the premises and the
Post your initial reconstructed argument, your explanation and continued dialogue response on
the DB. Then come back and following the instructions for Step 2 and Step 3.
Hiro: I’ve decided that I’m going to withdraw from school because it’s really hard to keep up
with school work, it’s expensive and besides I want to get married to my girlfriend. I know I’m
only 20, but I also feel like I’m not learning anything useful. I think I’d be better off trying to
get a full time job.
Angie: I disagree. Education can give you options for the future. If you have qualifications you
can get different jobs, better promotions, and people take you more seriously. So you really
ought to get your college degree.
Hiro: Well, my uncle finished high school, got married at 18, and he is doing just fine. He’s
got three kids, drives a bus, gets a good salary and he enjoys life. He told me that not going to
college and starting a career early was the best thing he could have done.
Additional resources for your review:
• How necessary is college education.
PHIL110 Critical Thinking – SPS CUNY
• Unemployment rates for college grads.
Give a Gift of an ‘Argument Map’
Step 2. Read through your classmates’ posts on the Discussion Forum. Select one (1) and
visually represent that argument, using MS Word or Google Doc for simple argument mapping.
Be sure to represent each of the premises, their relationship to each other; and the conclusion on
your argument map. I’ve attached a sample of what it could look like.
Step 3. When you are done, copy and paste your argument map directly into the Discussion
Forum reply post and respond to your classmates with this ‘gift’. Be sure to check if someone
mapped your argument, and posted it as a ‘gift’. When you receive an argument map gift
yourself from someone, be sure to comment on it (you can thank them, agree or disagree with the
way they represented your argument, and suggest any additional pieces or connections that might
Recommendations for Success and Grading Criteria:
• Respond to the assignment with clear and detailed answers, organized thoughts.
• Follow all assignment prompts and answers all prompt questions.
• Incorporate relevant examples and evidence to support claims.
• Write clearly and without errors a well-composed answer and post it on time.
• Respond to other students with interesting comments and follow-up questions. Acknowledge all students who commented on your post.https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2017/unemployment-rate-2-point-5-percent-for-college-grads-7-point-7-percent-for-high-school-dropouts-january-2017.htmhttps://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2017/unemployment-rate-2-point-5-percent-for-college-grads-7-point-7-percent-for-high-school-dropouts-january-2017.htm
- Applied Sciences
- Architecture and Design
- Business & Finance
- Computer Science
- Environmental science
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems
- Political Science
- Social Science
Copyright © 2019 HomeworkMarket.com