Health Leadership & Systems Thinking
Week 8: Health Leadership & Systems Thinking
Good, professional relationships between leaders and subordinates may factor into an organization’s success. For example, as a hospital director for a high-risk, neonatal unit, you may find that encouraging positive, professional relationships with subordinates from diverse backgrounds is important in maintaining employee efficiency and effectiveness. Your subordinates may also recognize a similar value in your professional relationship in order to receive direction, goal achievement, and/or rewards. In the field of health care administration, an emphasis on good, professional relationships may assist your leadership success across diverse landscapes of health care administration problems.
This week, you examine two leadership perspectives: Leader-Member Exchange Theory as well as Social Network Theory. Think about how both theories may apply to health care administration leadership. You also continue to complete your Scholar-Practitioner Project: Health Care Administration Leadership Theory with the creation of a visual representation of your theory.
· Compare Leader-Member Exchange with Social Network Theory
· Apply Leader-Member Exchange Theory to personal leadership theories
· Apply Social Network Theory to personal leadership theories
· Apply health care administration concepts and perspectives to create visual representations of leadership theories
· Nahavandi, A. (2015). The art and science of leadership (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
Chapter 3, “The Foundations of Modern Leadership” (pp. 64-89)
· Sin, H., Nahrgang, J. D., & Morgeson, F. P. (2009) Understanding why they don’t see eye to eye: An examination of leader-member exchange (LMX) agreement. Journal of Applied Pyschology, 94(4), 1048-1057.
· Van Dierendonck, D. (2011). Servant leadership: A review and synthesis. Journal of Management, 37(4), 1228-1261.
· Wilson, K. S., Hock-Peng, S., & Conlon, D. E. (2010). What about the leader in leader-member exchange? The impact of resource exchanges and substitutability on the leader. Academy of Management Review, 35(3), 358-372.
· Document: Scholar-Practitioner Project Overview (PDF)
Note: You will use this project overview to complete the remaining scholar-practitioner Assignments in Weeks 8 & 11.
Transcript of Scholar-Practitioner Project Overview
Scholar-Practitioner Project Overview.
1. Many health care administration leaders are proactive and passionate about improving health in the
populations they serve. As such, an important aspect of the Walden University Doctor of Healthcare
Administration (DHA) program addresses how to lead, manage, and impact the well-being of
communities and health systems. As scholar-practitioners in this course, you are challenged to
develop your capabilities as a leader through developing a personal Health Care Administration
Leadership Theory that uses a systems thinking approach for improvement within the field of health
2. This course includes a term-long, Scholar-Practitioner Project designed to promote positive social
change through the dissemination of information. This information highlights best practices in health
care administration leadership by addressing gaps within health care administration literature.
3. The Scholar-Practitioner Project Assignments highlighted below scaffold and complement the
Discussions and Assignments in the course. The work you do in Part 1 (Week 5) feeds the development of Part 2 (week 8). Parts 1 & 2 are used for Part 3(week 11.
Here is a summary of Scholarly-Practitioner Project Assignments:
Week & Title Assignment
|Week 5: Literature Review & Problem Statement||Literature Review & Problem statement (5-7 pages.|
|· Literature Review to Include:· A synthesis of Literature of at least 10 peer-reviewed, scholarly resources that give the reader a good overview of the issue. The section should show the reader a common trends in health care administration leadership or critical areas of need for leadership in the field.· A description of theoretical gaps in the research area. Based on the research you just in leadership, what seems to be missing?Problem Statement to include:· An explanation of specific problem that addresses identified gaps within the literature.· An explanation of how your problem statement incorporates implications for positive social change. As students at Walden, you are preparing to become agents of social change. Based on your leadership topic, the research you just did, and the gaps you found, how would you be a social agent for change?|
|Week 8: Visual Representation of Health care Administration Leadership Theory.Week 11:Scholar-Practitioner Project: Health Care Administration Leadership Theory.||Visual Representation of Public Leadership Theory.The Assignment (3-4 pages):· Create a visual representation of your Health care Administration leadership Theory (e.g., table, pictograph, graph, or Matrix).· Explain how the visual representation addresses the Literature gap you identified in week 5.· Explain how your visual representation incorporates aspect of systems Thinking:Health care Administration leadership Theory.The Assignment (15-20) pages.Section 1- Abstract and Introduction (1-2npages).Section 2- Revised Literature Review and Problem Statement (5-7 pages):· Literature Review to Include:· A synthesis of the literature of 15-20 peer-reviewed, scholarly resources.· A description of theoretical gaps in the research.· Problem statement to include:· An explanation of the specific problem that addresses identified gaps within the literature.· An explanation of how your problem statement incorporates implications for positive social change.Section 3 –Personal Health care Administration Leadership Theory (2-3 pages):· An articulation of your personal health care Administration leadership Theory.Section 4- Revised Visual Representation of your Health care Administration leadership Theory (3-4 pages):Your visual representation should include:· Your personal health care Administration leadership Theory to address the gaps identified in the literature.· A visual representation of the theory (e.g., table, graph, Matrix).· An explanation on how the theory addresses the literature gaps identified in week 5.· A description of how your theory incorporates aspect of thinking.Section5- Empirical Evaluation Plan for a health care Administration leadership Theory(3-4 pages):Your empirical evaluation plan should include:· A description of appropriate methods, measures, and possible analytical techniques for evaluating your theory.· A justification for your recommendations using the learning resources and current literature.Section 6- Conclusion (1-2 pages).Section 7 – References:· An APA formatted reference list of 15-20 peer-reviewed, scholarly journals.|
Building a Nest for Success: Leader-Member Exchange Theory and Social Network Theory
A Chinese proverb states, “In a broken nest, there are few whole eggs.” Within an organization, broken professional relationships may result in damage to the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization. For a leader, any “crack” or “break” in leadership may create future problems within the organization. With use of Leader-Member Exchange Theory and Social Network Theory, an effective leader may find that the creation of positive, professional relationships with subordinates is helpful in preventing breaks in relationships in order to guide an organization toward success.
· For this Discussion, reflect on the similarities and differences between Leader-Exchange Theory and Social Network Theory. Consider how you might integrate each theory into your own personal, unified leadership theory. Think about how you might use this theory in a health care administration scenario.
By Day 3
Post a brief comparison between Leader-Member Exchange and Social Network Theory. Then, explain how you might apply Leader-Member Exchange Theory and Social Network Theory into your personal, unified leadership theory. Finally, relate this personal, unified theory to a health care administration scenario with which you are familiar. Be specific and provide examples.
By Day 5
Continue the Discussion and provide a substantive reply to your colleagues in one or more of the following ways:
· Expand on the colleague’s posting with additional insight and resources.
· Offer polite disagreement or critique, supported with evidence.
In addition, you may also respond as follows:
· Offer and support an opinion.
· Validate an idea with your own experience.
· Make a suggestion or comment that guides or facilitates the discussion.
Support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources and the current literature.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 8 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 5
To participate in this Discussion: Week 8 Discussion
Scholar-Practitioner Project: Visual Representation of health care Administration Leadership Theory.
1. Having a Health Care Administration Leadership Theory is essential to any health care administration leader. With a well-constructed theory, you integrate leadership perspectives into practice in order to offer solutions to health care administration problems. Also, with a visual representation of your theory, you may present another way to highlight your research with effective design and theory implementation.
2. For this Assignment, you complete another part of your Health Care Administration Leadership Theory based upon your understanding of leadership perspectives you have reviewed in this course. In addition, you must use a systems thinking approach in the development of your visual representation of your personal Health Care Administration Leadership Theory.
3. This week you will provide a visual representation of your Health Care Administration Leadership Theory. It can be a table, schematic diagram, graph, or any other representation you choose. Please feel free to be creative. However, the focus MUST be on leadership.
The Assignment (3–4 pages):
· Provide a narrative explanation that shows how the developed theory can close the “gap” identified in the first part of the Project.
· Explain how it incorporates systems thinking.
4. Both the narrative explanation and the visual representation are included in the page count for the Assignment length. Remember, your theory can be based on those that we have examined in this course or that you have researched on your own. There is no wrong theory. What matters is the explanation of how it addresses the gap and uses systems thinking. While this does not have to be addressed now, keep in mind the last part of the Project will involve presenting a methodology that tests the developed theory empirically.
By Day 7
Submit your Scholar-Practitioner Project Assignment.
Support your Project with specific references to all resources and current literature used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
· Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK8Proj+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
· Click the Week 8 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
· Click the Week 8 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
· Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK8Proj+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
· If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
· Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 8 Project Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 8 Project draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
To submit your Assignment: Week 8 Assignment