Learning Theories And Diversity
Note: Assessments in this course build on each other and must be completed in sequential order.
It is important to consider the role of diversity and learning environments when selecting appropriate theories and approaches for a desired learning outcome. For this assessment, you will implement these considerations in an educational environment of your choosing.
- Take time to review educational theories that you have studied in prior courses or used in your work. Do additional research on educational theories and approaches as necessary.
- Optional: Practice implementing these considerations in the Vila Health challenge provided in the Resources before beginning your work here.
For this assessment, you will create a 5–7-page high-level teaching plan in which you do the following:
- Select a topic for a course that you would like to teach in an educational environment. (For example, maybe you would like to be a nursing instructor in an institution of higher learning, a staff development educator in a clinical facility, or a patient educator in a hospital.) Briefly describe your course and the environment that you will utilize for teaching. Also describe the intended audience for your course.
- Select an educational theory that you could use to guide the development of your course. Describe the key points of the theory you selected and explain why you think this theory fits the topic, audience, and context of your course.
- Be sure to cite textbooks or articles from peer-reviewed journals to support your choice.
- Identify and discuss potential diversity in the group that you anticipate teaching. (Diversity can include multiculturalism, age, gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, Limited English Proficiency (LEP), or other cultural barriers that you feel could impact your learning environment.)
- Use current research to describe how you will address these issues in your learning environment.
- Describe how you will manage conflict in the classroom that may arise from the anticipated diversity among learners.
- Format: 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font, double-spaced in Microsoft Word.
- Length: 5–7 pages, plus a title page and a references page.
- Use correct APA format, including running head, page numbers, and a title page.
- Writing should be free of grammar and spelling errors that distract from content.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Appraise the influence of learner’s culture, gender, and experiences on teaching and learning.
- Describe the diversity of an intended group of learners.
- Competency 2: Apply educational theory and evidence-based teaching practices when implementing teaching strategies.
- Identify a learning theory that applies to a selected educational topic and audience.
- Competency 3: Apply a variety of teaching strategies appropriate to diverse learner needs, content, and desired learner outcomes.
- Justify the application of a learning theory in a particular context.
- Competency 4: Integrate best practices for classroom management
- Describe evidence-based strategies for managing conflicts that could arise in a diverse classroom.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations of a nursing education professional.
- Support a position with effective written communication; use correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and mechanics, and APA style and formatting.