Organic Chemistry and Naming Molecules Questions
1) Give the IUPAC name for each of the following compounds (2 points)or
2) Write a structural formula for 3-isopropyl-2,4-dimethylpentane. (1 point)
3) Give the IUPAC name for each of the following alkyl groups: (1 point)
4) The heats of combustion of isomer A is 4817 kJ/mol, and that of isomer B is 4812 kJ/mol.
Which isomer is more stable? Justify your answer. (1 point)
5) Rank the following substances in decreasing order of the boiling points (Largest → smallest).
6) Match the boiling points with the appropriate alkanes. (2 points)
– Alkanes: octane, 2-methylheptane, 2,2,3,3-tetramethylbutane, nonane
– Boiling points : 106°C, 116°C, 126°C, 151°C
7) Compound A undergoes the following reactions: (2 points)
(i) Which of the reactions shown require(s) an oxidizing agent? Explain.
(ii) Which of the reactions shown require(s) a reducing agent? Explain.
Page 2 of 3
8) Match the following heat of combustion values with the corresponding structure. Justify your
answer. 5471,5466, 5452, 4817(kJ/mol) (2 points)
9) Write the structural formula for the most stable chair conformation of each of the following
compounds: (2 points)