Probability and Normal Distribution
Lab 5 Lecture Notes
You will need two excel spreadsheets in order to complete this lab.
1. Go to Modules in the course room and click on Week 3 Lesson: Measure of Central
Tendency and Variation.
2. Download the excel spreadsheet template needed for the lab.
3. Go to Modules in the course room and click on Week 5 Lesson: Normal Distribution.
4. Download the excel spreadsheet template needed for the lab.
Data Set: Ten Grades on the Midterm Exam
Create a description spreadsheet to describe the students surveyed.
a. How did you choose the participants for your study (sampling method)?
Review Different Types of Sampling Methods
1. Cluster: ____________________________________________________________
2. Stratified: ___________________________________________________________
3. Systematic: _________________________________________________________
4. Convenient: _________________________________________________________
5. Simple Random: _____________________________________________________
b. What part of the country did your study take place in?
c. What are the age ranges of your participants?
d. How many of each gender did you have in your study?
e. What are other interesting factors about your group?
–Take a Screenshot of your Description Spreadsheet and provide it below.
–Take a Screenshot of your Preliminary Calculations and provide it below.
Sample Standard Deviation
Score on the Midterm
Let’s Compare Our Score!
How does your score compare to the mean (average) height of the group that you
surveyed? Is your score more, less, or the same as the mean of your group?
Determine the 68%, 95%, and 99.7% values of the Empirical Rule in terms of the ten
scores in your midterm study.
–Take a Screenshot of your Empirical Rule Sheet and provide it below
What do these values tell you?
–Take a Screenshot of your Normal Distribution Sheet and provide it below
Based on your study results, what percent of the study participants scored lower than
you? What percent scored better?
Recap of Week 5 Lab
Week 5 Lab Assignment
Instructor Name: _______________
Please use this template to help answer the questions listed in the lab
instructions. The “steps” below refer to the steps listed in the lab instructions.
Type your answers and post your screenshots in the spaces given below. Then,
save this document with your name and submit it inside the course room.
Step 1. Gather Data
Your instructors will post 10 data values to use for this lab. The data values
represent the HEIGHTS of 10 people.
Please reach out to your instructor if you did not receive the assigned 10 data
values for the term by Monday of Week 5.
(NOTE: This is NOT the data used in the lab video, which is about midterm
grades. Do not use the midterm grades data.)
1a. Gather 10 MORE of your own to add to the 10 provided by your instructor.
Do the following: Survey or measure 10 people to find their heights. Determine
the mean and standard deviation for the 20 values by using the Week 3 Excel
spreadsheet. (Round statistics to two decimals.)
Mean Height in Inches
Sample Standard Deviation
Your Height in Inches
1b. Post a screen shot in the space BELOW of the portion of the spreadsheet
that helped you determine these values. Please list the 10 heights your
professor provided first followed by the 10 heights you collected. There
should be 20 values to determine the mean and sample standard deviation.
1c. Answer the following two questions (Answer in complete sentences).
How does your height compare to the mean (average) height of the 20 values? Is
your height taller, shorter, or the same as the mean of the sample?
Step 2. Data Characteristics
Answer the following questions to give some background information on the
group of people you used in your study. Write in complete sentences.
1. How did you choose the participants for your study? What was the sampling
method: systematic, convenience, cluster, stratified, simple random?
2. What part of the country did your study take place in?
3. What are the age ranges of your participants?
4. How many of each gender did you have in your study?
5. What are other interesting factors about your group?
Step 3. Data Analysis
Answer the following questions. Use the Week 5 Excel spreadsheets to help
analyze the data.
1. Determine the 68%, 95%, and 99.7% values of the Empirical Rule in terms of
the 20 heights in your height study. (Use the Empirical Rule tab from the
2. What do these values tell you? Write complete sentences explaining what the
values in the Empirical Rule tell you in context of the data.
3. Take a Screenshot of your Empirical Rule Sheet (Week 5 Spreadsheet) and
provide it below
1. Take a Screenshot of your Normal Distribution Sheet and provide it below
2. Based on your study results, what percent of the study participants are
shorter than you? What percent are taller?
Step 4. Save and submit this document
Be sure your name is on the Word document, save it, and then submit it. In the
assignment module, click “start assignment” and then “upload file” and “submit
Put values in blue cells; output or answers in YELLOW cells
Sample Standard Deviation
Population Standard Deviation
Interquartile Range (IQR)
(Returns more than one mode)
We've got everything to become your favourite writing service
Money back guarantee
Your money is safe. Even if we fail to satisfy your expectations, you can always request a refund and get your money back.
We don’t share your private information with anyone. What happens on our website stays on our website.
Our service is legit
We provide you with a sample paper on the topic you need, and this kind of academic assistance is perfectly legitimate.
Get a plagiarism-free paper
We check every paper with our plagiarism-detection software, so you get a unique paper written for your particular purposes.
We can help with urgent tasks
Need a paper tomorrow? We can write it even while you’re sleeping. Place an order now and get your paper in 8 hours.
Pay a fair price
Our prices depend on urgency. If you want a cheap essay, place your order in advance. Our prices start from $11 per page.