Always Fresh wants to ensure its computers comply with a standard security baseline and are regularly scanned for vulnerabilities. You choose to use the Microsoft Security Compliance Toolkit to assess the basic security for all of your Windows computers and use OpenVAS to perform vulnerability scans.
Develop a procedure guide to ensure that a computer adheres to a standard security baseline and has no known vulnerabilities.
For each application, fill in details for the following general steps:
1. Acquire and install the application.
2. Scan computers.
3. Review scan results.
4. Identify issues you need to address.
5. Document the steps to address each issue.
One of the security improvements at Always Fresh is setting up a system recovery procedure for each type of computer. These procedures will guide administrators in recovering a failed computer to a condition as near to the point of failure as possible. The goal is to minimize both downtime and data loss.
You have already implemented the following backup strategies for workstation computers:
§ All desktop workstations were originally installed from a single image for Always Fresh standard workstations. The base image is updated with all patches and new software installed on live workstations.
§ Desktop workstation computers execute a cloud backup every night at 1:00 a.m.
Consider the following for a computer that encounters a disk drive failure or some other error that requires restoration:
1. How much data has been modified between the last backup and the time of failure?
2. What images are necessary to recover the workstation?
3. What are the steps necessary to fix the problem that cause the data loss?
4. What steps should Always Fresh take to avoid a reoccurrence of this issue in the future?
Create a procedure guide that describes the necessary steps for recovering a desktop workstation computer. Fill in details for each of the following steps:
1. Describe the processes of:
a. Fixing the problem that caused the failure in the first place. Keep the description of this process general. Just address the problem and ensure the recovery process starts with a functional computer.
b. Restoring the newly repaired computer to a base workstation.
c. Restoring local data for the specific workstation that failed.
2. Provide the steps to follow for each of the restore operations. Assume you will be using the Windows Backup and Restore utility.