The Declaration of Independence
Discussion #1: The Declaration of Independence
The tensions that arose between Great Britain and her North American colonies as a result of taxation and other measures following the Seven Years’ War culminated in war, a movement for independence and the establishment of a new nation. The ideals that fueled the Revolution were grounded in Enlightenment Era thought. These same ideals still shape our vision as we continue to define American Democracy.
To prepare for this post, please review the links below to support your discussion:
- Enlightenment Thought
- The Declaration of Independence
After you have completed the readings answer ONE of the following questions:
1. How did Enlightenment Era thought influence the Declaration of Independence? In your answer, be sure to address how political thought evolved during the Enlightenment Era and how those shifts are represented within the Declaration of Independence.
2. Are Enlightenment ideals still relevant as a guiding force in current American society? How so? In your answer, please be sure to address current events and issues.
In order to earn the full 100 points (100%) for this assignment, you must:
- Directly and completely answer the discussion question. Clearly and accurately explain your answer based on factual information contained in the assigned readings. (80 points)
- Students must respond to at least one fellow student’s posting explaining the reason(s) for their agreement or disagreement, with the arguments that have been presented, in order to get full credit for the discussion. (20 points)
- Make sure that all statements are supported with facts from the sites provided.