The Sleepy Woman with Anxiety
Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
· Go to the Stahl Online website and examine the case study you were assigned.
· Take the pretest for the case study.
· Review the patient intake documentation, psychiatric history, patient file, medication history, etc. As you progress through each section, formulate a list of questions that you might ask the patient if he or she were in your office.
· Based on the patient’s case history, consider other people in his or her life that you would need to speak to or get feedback from (i.e., family members, teachers, nursing home aides, etc.).
· Consider whether any additional physical exams or diagnostic testing may be necessary for the patient.
· Develop a differential diagnosis for the patient. Refer to the DSM-5 in this week’s Learning Resources for guidance.
· Review the patient’s past and current medications. Refer to Stahl’s Prescriber’s Guide and consider medications you might select for this patient.
· Review the posttest for the case study.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click on Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and you cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking on Submit !
Post a Response to the Following:
1-Provide the Case Study number in the subject line of the Discussion.
2-List Three Questions you might ask the patient if he or she were in your office. Provide a rationale for WHY you might ask these questions.
3-Identify people in the patient’s life you would need to speak to or get feedback from to further assess the patient’s situation.
4- Include Specific Questions you might ask these people and WHY.
5-Explain what Physical Exams and Diagnostic Tests would be appropriate for the patient and HOW the results would be used.
5-List Three Differential Diagnoses for the patient.
6- Identify the ONE that you think is most likely and Explain Why.
7-List TWO Pharmacologic agents and their dosing that would be appropriate for the patient’s Sleep/Wake Therapy based on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
8-From a mechanism of action perspective, Provide a Rationale for Why you might choose ONE agent over the other.
9-If your assigned case includes “check points” (i.e., follow-up data at week 4, 8, 12, etc.), indicate any Therapeutic Changes that you might make based on the data provided.
10-Explain “Lessons Learned” from this case study, including HOW you might apply this case to your own practice when providing care to patients with similar clinical presentations.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ responses.