Virginia State University Chemistry Worksheet
CHEM402 Spring 2023Homework 3
Answers to the following problems must be uploaded to Blackboard before 12:30 pm on the date due.
You may work with others, but individual assignments must be submitted. Please include short verbal
explanations along with your math and reference any math tools used such as integral/ derivative
1. (a) Write the wavefunction expression for a 3s electron in a hydrogenic atom and (b) determine
the most probable radius at which the electron likely to be found.
2. Write the Slater determinant for a Boron 1+ ion.
3. What is the orbital angular momentum of an electron in the orbitals (a) 4d, (b) 3p?
Give the numbers of angular and radial nodes in each case.
4. Calculate the permitted values of j for (a) p electron and (b) a f electron.
5. Which of the following transitions are allowed in the normal, H-like electronic emission
spectrum of an atom: (a) 5d→2s, (b) 6p→4f?
Which of the following transitions are allowed in the normal electronic emission spectrum of a
many-electron atom: (c) 3P0→3S1, (d) 3D3→1P1?